Thursday, June 19, 2008

AFI's 10 Top 10 - Part 3

Finishing up posting the lists...

Mystery

1 Vertigo
2 Chinatown
3 Rear Window
4 Laura
5 The Third Man
6 The Maltese Falcon
7 North by Northwest
8 Blue Velvet
9 Dial M for Murder
10 The Usual Suspects

Mostly okay. The Usual Suspects seems like it might belong more on the 'gangsters' list.

Romantic Comedies

1 City Lights
2 Annie Hall
3 It Happened One Night
4 Roman Holiday
5 The Philadelphia Story
6 When Harry Met Sally...
7 Adam's Rib
8 Moonstruck
9 Harold and Maude
10 Sleepless in Seattle

Harold and Maude?! I like Harold and Maude but I don't think I've ever considered it a romantic comedy.

Courtroom Drama

1 To Kill a Mockingbird
2 12 Angry Men
3 Kramer vs. Kramer
4 The Verdict
5 A Few Good Men
6 Witness for the Prosecution
7 Anatomy of a Murder
8 In Cold Blood
9 A Cry in the Dark
10 Judgment at Nuremberg

In Cold Blood should be on the 'gangsters' (i.e. crime movie) list. Kramer vs. Kramer doesn't really fit either. And where the heck is Inherit the Wind?!

Epics

1 Lawrence of Arabia
2 Ben-Hur
3 Schindler's List
4 Gone with the Wind
5 Spartacus
6 Titanic
7 All Quiet on the Western Front
8 Saving Private Ryan
9 Reds
10 The Ten Commandments

Another list that's no really a genre. And there's some weird stuff on this one too. Schindler's List? A good film, certainly, but an epic? I guess Titanic and Saving Private Ryan are close to what I'd call 'epic' but I don't think I would have included either one.

The really odd thing to me is that there's no 'Horror' list. They could have called it 'Suspense' if they wanted to separate themselves from today's horror movies but it really strikes me odd that there's a list of fantasy movies and no list of horror movies.

3 comments:

John Warren said...

These AFI people are insane.

I agree--there oughta be a horror list! "Courtroom drama" is not a genre either! I think they just needed ten categories so they could pick a total of 100 movies. Which makes it even more bizarre that they don't have a horror list.

Heck, if they were desperate for genres they could have used "foreign" as one--I think most video stores have a "foreign" section (even though its not truly a genre any more than animation is).... :)

John Warren said...

On the other hand, nice to see that "Dial M for Murder" made the list. I love that movie.

John Q said...

I agree, both on the quality of "Dial M for Murder" and the insanity of the AFI people. :)